Mocks and Internal Exams
In November departments will begin internal assessments for students. These will give an early indication of student performance which will be used for an updated report and updated projected grades (these will be made available early in December during the virtual Year 11 Parents' Evenings and when reports are issued on 14/12/2020). These internal assessments will be conducted in class settings, and Team Leaders will inform students of the paper / specific questions which will be used for these initial assessment purposes.
We know from the Year 11 cohort of 2019/2020 that centre assess grades (CAGs) were the basis of GCSE results and as such our mock window will be extremely important. As we stand, the government guidance is all GCSE exams will continue, though they will be delayed slightly (click link) however should this change we will let you know straight away.
We have scheduled our official Mock window between January 25th 2021 and February 11th 2021 - as ever, the mock exams play a crucial role in informing students, parents and teachers of the level a student is working at and where support / guidance can be offered.
The mocks have never been so important, and though not easy they are of real benefit in a variety of ways:
- Act as an early alert - shows where support / guidance is needed really diagnostically
- Act as a confidence builder - showing students the hard work they are already putting in is paying off
- Allow students to hone exam techniques and get familiar with these in context
- Give students a feel for how the real exams will be (quantity / time constraints / where in the paper sections they should answer are etc...)
- Provide key data for projected grades including centre assessed grades if modifications to/removal of the summer exam series come in to play because of C-19.
- Help students identify specific weaknesses/gaps to work on
- Help students understand which revision techniques work best for them in which subjects
Each department and teacher will offer specific help and guidance in the run-up to the exams - for any questions, do get in contact with the Team Leader of the subject (contact links) and do visit the bespoke FROG revision page (click link):